4 Possible Hazards In Autumn That May Pose A Danger To Your Dog

If you're like many people, you really enjoy autumn. The days are often warm and balmy followed by cool, crisp evenings, and the energy you thought you'd lost during the heat of late summer makes a welcome comeback. You may be finding yourself spending more time enjoying outdoor activities, and you're probably also spending time getting your home ready for the upcoming winter.

Your canine companion probably feels of renewed energy as well after the dog days of autumn are finally over, and you're probably glad that you don't have to worry about your furry friend becoming overheated or having the bottom of its feet burned by hot rocks or sand. However, fall comes with its own set of hazards. Here's what you need to watch out for during this particular season.

1. Fall Feasts

Harvest dinners, Halloween sweets, and Thanksgiving feasts are something almost everyone looks forward to in autumn. However, some types of foods could land your dog in the animal hospital, especially chocolate treats or anything containing the artificial sweetener xylitol. You should also make sure your dog doesn't ingest anything with garlic or onion, so think twice before giving it that bit of roast or burger. 

2. Ticks 

Many people believe that ticks become inactive when summer draws to a close, but there are many types of ticks that keep right on ticking through until the start of winter. Ticks thrive in environments such as fallen leaves and yard clipping, so make sure to keep your yard as free of these as possible by raking up and bagging leaves on a regular basis and burning or otherwise disposing of yard waste. Remain vigilant about checking your dog for ticks after outdoor outings. 

3. Rodent Poison 

Rodents usually begin trying to get indoors for the winter at some point during autumn, which leads many homeowners to resort to poison to control their populations. Try keeping rodents at bay by sealing up any possible entry points on your home exterior and using traps when necessary instead of poison. 

4. Antifreeze

Be extra careful when you're putting antifreeze in your car for the winter. It has a sweet taste that dogs love, but it's deadly if they drink it. Always mop up spills immediately even if your furry friend isn't in the vicinity -- they have ways of sniffing out anything that smells sweet. If your dog drinks even the slightest bit of antifreeze, take it to the closest animal hospital immediately. 

For more information, contact a company like Kenmore Veterinary Hospital.

422 Words

About Me

Helping Our Animals I have never been in love with the idea of owning animals, but a few years ago my son came home with some puppies that he was already really attached to. He swore he would take good care of the animals, so I gave in and let him keep them. Unfortunately, one of them became ill, and I had to find a way to take care of the animal. I decided to visit a veterinarian for help, and we had a diagnosis in a treatment plan in no time. I was really surprised with how powerful veterinary care was, and it was phenomenal. Read this blog to learn more.